Thursday, May 3, 2012

Button, Button, Whose Got the Button?

 
 Ever since I was a little girl I always loved buttons.
I can remember sifting through mom's buttons, 
and how she kept them in a tin container.
 She would save all buttons from worn out shirts, 
blouses, or whatever else sported them.
Back in those days a lot of them
were made from shells.
They had a pearly opalescence, of rainbow colors,
and they were a bit rough on their back side.

 
My mother was not a seamstress,
but she was a mender.
I had 5 younger brothers and they were typical boys.
They would often have a ripped piece of clothing,
especially at the elbows and commonly the knees on pants,
and they lost buttons!


 Safety pins at our house were a no no.
Rips were sewn, holes were patched, 
buttons were replaced. 
If a button was lost, another took it's place.
There was always one to be found in the button tin.


There are those who actually collect buttons.
They don't throw them haphazardly in a container
but display them in cases, on walls in frames,
like butterflies to admire and see.
Mine are in glass jars.

And so the point of all of this is that today 
I was on a bit of a quest,
searching for 4 buttons the same size,
only mismatched in color for my latest project
which I will share with you when completed.
Take care, and love you all. 
~*~

3 comments:

  1. You have a great button collection. I love buttons too - I have 1 big jar full that my grandsons love to go thru. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your containers of buttons, so colorful. My Grandmother always had tins of buttons that were so fun to look through.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection and all well organised. Lots of memories too. The little containers are cute. They're all good for clothing or emblishment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
~WRITE IT ON YOUR HEART................
THAT THE ONES YOU LOVE ARE LIFE'S MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS~