Last evening I finished up the sweater set for my friend Debbie. She will take it with her to South Korea when she goes this Spring to visit her son Mike and his wife. I know that it will be close to the time when the baby is due.
I did quite a bit of frogging and tweaking with this sweater pattern. It was frustrating to say the least. Several times I thought to just rip it all apart and search for another pattern. Then I got stubborn and thought about all of the work that I already had in this project.
Before I get into some of the details I experimented with the camera, to use the flash, or not. All the photos where the sweater set looks peachy were taken without the flash. When you compare it does make a definite difference. The actual color is pink.
The pattern I used is from a very old crochet book by Columbia Minerva, titled "Crochets for Babies infants and toddlers" book 778. When I looked inside the cover to see the year it was published I couldn't find a date. The pattern is called Daffy-Down-Dilly. There is a blanket that matches the sweater and cap but Debbie wanted a blanket with hearts.
Making the sacque (sweater) was relatively simple until I got to the yoke. Then the hair pulling began. I ripped it out a good 3 times, the count was off. Row 4 of this leg of the pattern was just wrong. It said that 59 stitches should remain, well no, I had 57, and no matter how many times I ripped and redid the rows it always came out to 57. After that I was on my own, trying to salvage all the work, trying to just make do and continue.
Where the yoke right and left sides meet at the front is suppose to be flat, forget that, I made a change, I folded down the top corners and fastened them down with a pink button. The buttons were sewn on straight at the corners of the collar, but they don't look like it in the picture. I am fussy like that, it has to be even and straight. Why it never looks right in a photo is beyond me, everything always looks a bit wonky (is that a word? maybe Wonka, like Willy Wonka). Then on the back I stitched down 3 areas so the collar I made would not flip up. I then ran pink satin ribbon under the collar and tied it in the front.
Here is a view of the back of the sweater. I love the shell pattern. It is easy to follow.
Then the back of the bonnet/cap. I wasn't too happy with the way the ribbon went through the eyelets, it twisted a bit. The pattern called for single crochets between the chain 2 spots and I should have done double crochets, that way the spaces would have accommodated the width of the ribbon better. The pattern actually calls for making a chain tie with pom poms on the ends. Folks, I just wasn't in a pom pom mood by the time I was wrapping up this project, lol.
I needed either a doll with a head the size of the bonnet or a real baby to model it......alas, neither was available for the photo shoot.
It would be nice to have added booties to this ensemble, there was no matching pattern for them in the book. I had very little yarn left, maybe enough for one bootie, but not for two. By the time I finished up I wasn't in a bootie mood anyways, no pom poms and no booties.....sigh. It was time to move on to the next project.....mom's blanket......grrrrr!
This past Wednesday would have been my husband's 68th birthday. The girls, Holden and I spent the evening together and had taco pizza. Special occasions are coming and going. Memories remain in my heart always. I am blessed to have my daughters and grandson, extended family (and you) to share my life with. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for another day to try and be a blessing for someone, no matter who that someone might be. I thank all of you for being my friend, for coming here and taking precious time out of your lives to read and/or leave a comment. I want to wish all of you the best for the holidays, may your lives be filled with God's love and his blessings. All we have are gifts from him. There are millions of words, but the one I use to describe our God is "AWESOME"! ♥♥♥