Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Finishing Up, Cheeseball & Holden


I got the little hat done for Holden. It matches the scarf I finished last week.


This scarf is one that was ordered by a customer. She had seen Holden wearing his scarf and asked if I would make one for her to buy. At the time I had his hat still on the knitting needles, she didn't realize there was a hat to come yet. Now I'm wondering if she will also want a hat to go with the scarf she ordered.


And here is my little guy modeling his new hat and scarf grandma made him. They fit perfectly :)
Then for anyone who is wondering, yes, I am putting together mom's blanket. It was a long time in coming, but I am on the home stretch now. It took me 2 days to arrange and attach all the motifs into rows.


 Then to start sewing the rows together.




 There are a total of 15 rows. The first row has 8, then the next row has 9, and you add to each row until you get 15 total for the center row and then you finish off the other half by decreasing 1 each row until you get to 8 motifs in the last row. I have 8 rows done so far and so I am over half way done. Mom knows she is getting this now. I took the last row with me to her house and showed it to her. I do believe she was surprised and never dreamed I have been at it on and off for several months crocheting this for her.


 I wanted to share this recipe below which is very simple and had some thumbs up reviews by family members....Bacon Cheddar Ranch Cheese Ball......


No holiday is complete without a cheese ball and normally I make the dried beef one at Christmas. This year I decided to try something new and found a recipe for a Bacon Cheddar Ranch Cheese Ball. I tweaked it up a bit because the amount of bacon and cheese was laughable.....I mean after all who doesn't like bacon and cheese, especially bacon, right?


You need:
2 packages of Philly Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package Hidden Valley Dips Ranch powder
1 pound bacon fried crisp and drained, crumbled


Now the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of bacon bits.....poo poo on that, I had real bacon in the freezer and decided to just go with that. You cream the cream cheese and beat in the ranch dip powder. Then by hand mix in the shredded cheese and 1/2 of the crumbled bacon.


After that is well incorporated it said to take your hands and form it in a ball, well I plopped it onto the middle of the serving plate and used a flat metal spatula to even and smooth it out. The last step is just to take the bacon that is left and apply it to the ball, press it in a bit to make it stick. I will admit to being short 4 slices of fried bacon (the dogs are not talking). Serve with crackers. I made 2 and everyone at my daughters liked it and so did everyone at my moms.


We opened our presents at Rachael's house last evening. I just wanted to share a few pics of my grandson. One has to only to watch a child to be reminded what Christmas is all about, the giving, the wonder, the surprise, the joy, and the contentment and peace of play. (Please disregard the roll of toilet paper, we ran out of Kleenex and that works well in its place).



He got new pajamas, Sponge Bob. He did not want to go change his clothes, he did not want to leave his new toys.


This picture does not show it, but there was his dad, mom and his Auntie Meghan all playing and laying down the track for his V-Tec cars. There are more presents to open on Christmas morning. The ones he opened last night was from his aunt and me.


But this is the picture I love the most, where he unwrapped the little monster (I won at the auction) and he was looking it over, and then when I asked him if he would take it to bed with him he looked up at me and with a big smile said, "Yes!" My only grandchild, he is so precious to me, a blessing. I wonder if his grandpa is looking down from heaven and seeing this little angel, our little angel here on earth. ♥

8 comments:

  1. Holden is such a handsome little man - I'm sure Grandpa is looking down from Heaven with pride. I wish you all the best Susanne and I hope you have a Merry Christmas with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanne, this post just made me so happy! You're almost done with Mom's blanket! You made a yummy cheese ball! And Holden looks over the top adorable in his hat and scarf.. bravo! Yes, I am sure your husband is looking down and proud as heck of such a cute little grandson. Enjoy tomorrow!

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is late, and I am exhausted. I was just going to read a few posts. I haven't even been on my laptop all day. I read this, and had to comment. Your blanket for Mom is looking fabulous! She will love it. And the dip...oh my. I make a similar one and it is always a hit. Your little guy is so adorable. I know what you mean, about the wonder in the children at Christmas. And yes, I believe with my whole heart, that your husband is looking down with love and pride, and he will live in your hearts forever. I went out to lock the coop tonight, and I stood out there, looking at the black sky, full of stars, and talked to my Dad for a bit. I still miss him so. 10 years, and I miss him every day. I can only imagine how hard this Christmas is for you. I wanted you to know that you are in my heart, my thoughts, and prayers.
    Hugs, and Merry Christmas!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks adorable modeling your hat and scarf, good job on those...they are so vibrant, kids love color. Blessings for you in the new year, good health and abundant joy with your little grandson. I realize this is a difficult time, and you seem to be managing it well, focus on all the good there is for you to enjoy...that beautiful grandson....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, Susanne! Thanks for the cheese ball recipe. I've already written down the recipe to try. Have a great day with your family. We're having a quiet one at home, just us and the dogs, and just the way we like it! I have a bread pudding in the oven. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure he is. My eldest son of 25 told me only two days ago that he senses his grandad around him often and he passed twenty years ago. Holden is a lovely little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, he's just the cutest little guy! I love the scarf and hat you made him, and he looks totally adorable wearing them. :) The blanket you're making for your mom is going to be so, so gorgeous when it's finished, Susanne. The little motifs are all so pretty! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I think my guys would really love it. Sending sweet wishes for all good things in your year ahead! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holden looks really cute in that hat and scarf. I love his curly hair :-) You blanket is fab!! I'm sure your husband is looking down and is proud of you and his entire family. :-)
    A warm hug.
    -Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
~WRITE IT ON YOUR HEART................
THAT THE ONES YOU LOVE ARE LIFE'S MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS~