Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hot, Humid, Gloomy Day, Paula Deen Apple Pie


I have not gotten back to this project. The last time I worked on it was Saturday. Then Sunday rolled around and I spent that day resting. Monday came and I spent from 12:30pm to 7:30pm mowing grass, pretty much all day. I had no choice, it had been a week and the weatherman said it was suppose to rain the next 2 days. I babysat all day on Tuesday and it did rain. Today (Wednesday) was so hot and humid. It was gloomy out there... too depressing, especially when I noticed the grass looked like it needed mowed again. As you can see from the picture, my weed clipping and spraying under the fence makes it look a lot neater. That weed killer is suppose to be good for 6 months.  Not to worry, by then it will be Winter.

.
Back in Spring I posted this picture of the apple trees in the back of our property. They are now looking like this......




What I find amazing and totally unbelievable about these apple trees, is that my husband planted them over 30 years ago for our daughters so that they would have their own apple trees. He babied them, trimmed them back in Winter, sprayed them in early Spring when the blossoms formed to keep the worms out, but they never had more than a dozen or so apples, not even worth the trouble because they never really amounted to anything to brag about. After so many years he just forgot about having apples of our own. I use to buy apples from a local fruit stand and also a co-worker that has an orchard. In fact I did a post on making some apple jelly a year or two ago. Now look, he passes away this past January and these trees are loaded. What is up with that???? How utterly ironic is this anyways. I just shake my head. Oh how I wish he was here to see his trees now.


I had picked some the other day and decided to go out and gather a few more to make an apple pie. Well, good thing I took a bag cause I came back with more than a few. I know they don't look very pretty, but they have a good flavor. I'm not even sure about what kind they are, but he would have remembered. A pie just sounded like the perfect thing to make today.


Of course the apples had some worm holes and I had to cut a lot of the inside away, but I have plenty to make a nice pie.


I didn't have any Fruit Fresh and had to use lemon juice and water (1:4 ratio) to prevent darkening of the fruit. After I got all the spices mixed I rinsed the apples well and mixed the spices into the apples.


Lazy me, I didn't feel like making more of a mess and doing my own pie crust. Thank goodness for the deep dish ones from the grocery store.


I usually go with my own recipe, but decided to try the Paula Deen recipe in the new cookbook I bought several weeks ago. Her recipe says to mix brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract, coat the apples, fill the pie shell and dot with butter, then cover with second crust, use knife to vent top crust.



Brush top crust with milk (I used cream, didn't have any milk on hand) and then sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.


I did cut myself a piece and it was okay but, I believe I like my own version better. I think the brown sugar is okay, but I use granulated sugar mixed with cinnamon then dot with butter or margarine. I think the ginger and nutmeg make it too over the top with the spices. Nutmeg and ginger are just too strong for me. I want my pie to taste like apples, not the spice rack, lol. Would I make it again? probably not. Apple pie is my favorite pie too. I will just stick with my own version. ♥


8 comments:

  1. It looks delicious, I like Paula but that does sound like a lot of flavoring a for an apple pie, I use just cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm - that apple pie looks delicious. I agree with you about apple pie tasting like apple pie - not the spice rack. A little spice goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. apple pie sounds wonderful. I make my apples with cinnamon and nutmeg...I love the tartness of an apple pie and I too want to taste the apples..oh I make my own weed killer and it works better than anything you can buy. 1 gallon vinegar..doesn't matter what kind, 1cup epson salt (you don't have to use it, just makes it work faster, and finally 1/2 cup of dawn dishwashing liquid. I mix it up in a spray thingy that you can pick up at any hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our apple tree is loaded, too.. but we don't prune or spray so I'm always worried about eating worms. :-) That's a gorgeous pie! I am determined to make one from scratch.. some day. I hope you had some vanilla ice cream to have on top! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pie looks delicious, and I think your husband is sending you a little message from Heaven by making your apple trees bloom and create all of that fruit.
    Hugs to you Susanne,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pie looks great! And how nice that you got them free from your own tree. I'm sure your hubby does see all those apples! He may have had a hand in that to say hello and make you smile. Get you some vanilla ice cream to go on top and tone down those spices. I don't use anything but cinnamon in my apple pie. I know what you mean by too much spice. Girl, you're going to work yourself to death in that big old yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely apples and so many! I love apple pie too, but like you I think nutmeg and ginger are a bit much. The pie certainly looks delicious though! I agree with Pammy Sue. I think your hubby had a hand in all those pretty apples this year! Hugs to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The apple flowers are so pretty. I've never seen before. Such a fruitful year that surely makes you thinking so much of your loved one. The apple pie looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
~WRITE IT ON YOUR HEART................
THAT THE ONES YOU LOVE ARE LIFE'S MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS~