Two days ago it was so hot and muggy you could hardly stand it. The air conditioner went on. Now let me tell you, it is hard to be positive when things just don't seem to be in your favor. Yeah, the ac went on and it wasn't cooling the house. Now you say, well, that happens. Sure it does, but the house was built about 20 years ago and this is the 2nd central air we have had professionally installed. The first was always acting up so we went ahead and replaced it. Well, the second one isn't much better. This is the 3rd year in a row it has had to have a shot of freon......yeah, there is a leak. So we called our ac man, and after 3 calls and messages left he returns the call and says he will be out in the morning. Morning came and he never showed up till around 1:30 that afternoon. He worked on it a bit and put some dye in it and said he will return today on Sunday morning.
It is now almost 2:30pm and guess what, the man isn't here yet. Not only that, but after he left yesterday it got cold and started raining more, so needless to say, we were freezing! We ended up turning the ac temp back so it wouldn't kick on. My children came home for burgers on the grill and just as we are about to get them cookin', here comes the ac man. He checked the coils on the unit and finds out that part will need to be ordered and replaced. We grilled our burgers and tried to enjoy our meal. But despite all the fiasco with it all I did manage to find a dry place to hang my finished hex project. Yes, it was raining lightly but the rail under the porch eaves was dry and I managed and made do with what I had. It did turn out lovely don't you think?
Now that I can see it from a distance the sage green seems to be the right choice and I do agree with one of yesterday's comments that the flowers look like they are in a field of green. Any other green might have just been too much. I did not want a kelly green, and a lime green would have been too bright for me. I am all about older colors, more laid back and it does make the flowers pop out better. I think a brighter green would have been competition for the flowers, but one never knows unless they try some samples done in different shades of green. The biggest challenge was trying desperately to make sure I spread out the flower colors well enough so that they were dispersed evenly as possible.
When laid flat it is one big hexagon. There are 169 hexes in all. The widest row is the center with 15 hexes across. Rows decrease from there with 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, and 8. There is only 1 row of 15, and 2 rows of each of the other. I added 3 border rows of single crochet around the entire blanket. The first border row kinda melts right in with the edge hexes and was done in the sage green. The second border row is a beige and the 3rd, and last row, is the sage green again. The pattern can be found if you Google "About Crocheting African Flowers". The link can be found somewhere in my postings if you search African Flower Motif or African Flower. Check out these sites because all of the ideas from other crafty people are there and you will not be disappointed. Would I make another one, you bet ya!! This blanket has extra meaning to me because I started it soon after my husband started his chemo treatments. I took my crochet hook and bag of yarn and some days I crocheted and others I sat with tapestry needle and would weave in the tails. It was what kept my hands busy and my mind focused. ♥